Last Updated on August 12, 2021
Tired of only having cumbersome rough cut wood, inconsistent gas grills, or filthy charcoal as your options for outdoor cooking?
Glampers and tailgaters, rejoice! Because with the Ooni Koda 16 it has never been easier to bring gourmet, homemade food out to events, parties, camp sites, or your own backyard.
Ooni has been making high quality gas and hardwood fueled pizza ovens since 2013. The married couple who founded it were frustrated by the options available to them for making amazing pizza at home.
Before Ooni, you could either pay a huge amount for a stationary home pizza oven, go to an upscale restaurant, or settle for a wimpy home oven.
But the pizza purists behind Ooni took one look at those pricey or sub-par choices and said “there has got to be a better way.” After countless hours of designing and redesigning, they came up with the Ooni line.
Whether you want the authenticity of wood-fired, or the convenience of gas there’s a portable and reasonably priced Ooni out there for you!
And in this article, we’re giving you a thorough Ooni Koda 16 review, specs and tips, as well as a substantial list of pros & cons. Let our mozzarella maniacs help you finally bake your perfect home pizza.
Ooni Koda 16: Review & Breakdown
Folks seeking a full sized pizza oven at a reasonable price need look no further than the Ooni Koda 16. It performs like competitors twice its cost and 5 times the weight, and you can take it anywhere that you can a gas powered grill.
Weighing in at under 50 lbs, and a fraction of the size of other pizza ovens the Ooni Koda 16 packs a lot of pizza power into a svelte package.
As outdoor enthusiasts ourselves, we love how easy Ooni makes it to bring amazing food to nearly any locale. The carrying case is not included, but highly recommended for easy toting.
Bring it to your next tailgate or block party to impress the neighbors. Or just keep it in your own yard and pack it away to fit handily on a shelf when you’re done.
Both the body and the oven’s opening of the Koda 16 are a few inches bigger than the smaller models. But the larger total size of the Ooni Koda 16 makes it a great choice for the home chef and professional caterer alike.
Because you can cook nearly anything in this pizza oven. Desserts, artisanal breads, flame-cooked fish, roasted meats, caramelized vegetables – as long as it fits in the generous oven opening, your imagination is the only limitation!
The Koda 16 can achieve such versatility due to its ability to reach the same staggering temperatures of a commercial oven quadruple the size.
Like all Ooni ovens, this bad boy maxes out at 932 degrees F and can cook up an entire 16 inch Neopalitan pizza in just 60 seconds.
It’s the innovative, L-shaped burner and durable insulated shell that gives this pizza oven the ability to make great food in mere seconds. The carbon steel of the oven and cordierite baking stone are extremely durable, high quality materials that are built to last.
For all that we love about this pizza oven, there are a few downsides to consider as well.
Beginners are likely to have issues with pizza sticking to the baking stone at first. But if you do your research, watch a few videos, and follow the instructions included by Ooni you’ll overcome this difficulty in no time.
And while the price of the oven itself is practically unbeatable for the performance, you should budget for accessories too. It does not come with a pizza peel, which is invaluable for removing stuck on pies.
We specifically recommend a pizza peel, oven brush, and carrying case to make your first few experiences that much easier – all conveniently offered on Ooni’s website.
- Weighs 40.1 lbs or 18.2 kg
- Measures 20.5 inches wide, 23.2 inches deep
- Stands 14.7 inches high
- Oven opening 4.5 inches high
- Baking stone 16.7 inches wide and long at smallest sides, and .59 inches thick
- Reaches a maximum temperature of 932 degrees F or 500 degrees C
- Cooks an entire 16 inch pizza in 60 seconds
- Portable, take it to backyards, campgrounds, parks, tailgates, and parties
- Large, cordierite stone baking board accommodates up to a 16 inch pizza
- Insulated, carbon steel, powder-coated shell provides superior durability and heat resistance
- Appropriate for pizza, seafoods, vegetables, desserts, breads, and more
- L-shaped flame and heat reflective interior cook every side of your dish simultaneously
- Intuitive and easy to use control knob lets you change temperature at a moment’s notice
- Gas ignition and preheat takes about 20 minutes to maximum heat
- Foldable legs and purchasable carrying case make it simple to transport short or long distances
- Compatible with wide range of propane tank sizes
- Manufacturer offers a wide range of accessories and parts, including natural gas conversion kit
- Free shipping and returns from the manufacturer
- 60 day easy returns with the Ooni “Great Pizza Guarantee”
- 3-year warranty
It’s tough to find a better deal on a home sized pizza oven than the Ooni Koda 16. Not only does it heat up to the insane temperatures of commercial ovens, but it’s easier to use and portable to boot!
Though it’s a bit heavier than some other Ooni models, this slightly sized up version can fit a full sized, 16 inch pizza. A must have for the ambitious glamper or savvy caterers.
READ MORE: How To Clean a Pizza Stone? – A Helpful Guide.