Last Updated on August 27, 2021
A crockpot is one of the best tools you can have in your kitchen arsenal. It’s similar to a smoker because it lets you cook dishes for your family or friends without requiring that you stand nearby and keep a close eye on the device. Though Crockpot is a trademarked brand name, you can also use a slow cooker.
The benefits of using a slow cooker or a crockpot are numerous. You can toss your ingredients in the pot the night before and wake up to a delicious dish. They’re also great for cooking dishes while you’re at work.
One of the top recipes that we recommend is a sweet and spicy chicken dish. It tastes like something that just came from your favorite Chinese restaurant and has a combination of both sweet and spicy flavors. You can use the following recipe with fresh chicken or chicken that you cooked in your smoker.
Sweet and Spicy Crockpot Chicken
This simple recipe will appeal to your friends and family as well as adults and kids. Though it uses chicken and fresh vegetables, you can add any of your favorite veggies to create a custom chicken dish.
- 2 pounds boneless and skinless chicken
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 2 cups of mixed fresh vegetables
- 8 ounces of sweet and sour sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 8 ounces shredded cheddar cheese
- 6 ounces of barbecue sauce
- 1 tablespoon water, if needed
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
1. To make sweet and spicy chicken in a slow cooker, simply place the chicken in the bottom of your crockpot. Scatter the garlic over the chicken and add your mixed veggies. You’ll then pour the two sauces over the top and stir until everything is well combined.
2. After cooking the dish for at least seven hours on low, mix the water and cornstarch in a small bowl or cup and add to the mixture. This creates a slurry that you’ll stir into the dis to make a thick sauce. You need to let the dish cook for another 10 minutes to cook off the cornstarch and create that sauce.
3. Depending on how hot your slow cooker runs, it can take up to nine hours for the dish to fully cook. If you have access to a meat thermometer, you can insert it into the chicken. The chicken should reach a temperature of at least 165 degrees Fahrenheit before it’s safe to eat.
Choosing the Right Chicken
Some of the other tips you can use when cooking this dish include:
This recipe is merely an outline for how you can make sweet and spicy chicken in your crockpot or slow cooker. You can have fun replacing the veggies and sauces to create new versions of this classic dish for your family.
READ ALSO: How Long Will Hot Sauce Last?